Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Lagoon Center Comment

I've briefly read through the nice descriptions and drawings of the plans for the new lagoon center. I have a few comments below.

I particularly liked the emphasis on the outdoor experience/ minimizing the indoor exhibits and activities of the casual visitor. I especially liked the area east of the center, marked the "meadow" and "chapparral" that look like a very nice, passive interpretive experience.

As for my concerns, I must tell you I've spent my Saturdays since mid-July helping the San Diego County Bicycle Coalition with a new City of San Diego-built bike trail along the banks of the San Diego River in Mission Valley. We adopted the trail and agreed to keep it free of trash, graffitti and noxious weeds. Most of my time I've been painting over graffitti and picking up sometimes disgusting refuse.

Having said that, I may have a jaded view at this point, but I'm a little worried about the proximity of our new lagoon center to the "outside world" on Via de la Valle, I-5, and the shopping center. Have you considered tall fencing on Via de la Valle and San Andres, night-time locking of gates, and other ways to protect the property when the rangers are away?
I worry about kids with skateboards and trick bikes using the amphitheatre and other outdoor facilities in a destructive manner.
I worry about the youth who walk over from the shopping center looking for a place to drink beer and be rowdy at night.
I worry about people exiting the I-5 in their cars and looking for a nearby place to park and "hang out" at night.
I worry about passers-by on Via de la Valle throwing their trash down the hill, or anyone who doesn't care much about the park and is drawn by the seclusion of the park right next to the roadway.

Sorry if I sound macabre, but I'm disturbed by what some people have done to the brand new bike trail in Mission Valley. Other park interpretive centers I've visited are often far from "civilization" or else locked up at night. Being so close to civilization is both a blessing and a curse.

That's my 2 cents worth.
Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment